Monday, February 14, 2011

Job Application - Edited!



Application for Teaching Internship Programme 2011

I am a 2nd year undergraduate in the National University of Singapore majoring in Food Science and Technology. I enjoy learning new things and teaching my peers on things that they do not understand. Hence, I read with great interest of the Teaching Internship Programme, which introduces undergraduates to teaching as a career. I wish to take my interest in teaching to a higher level through this internship and test my ability to take up teaching as a career.

Most of the peer teaching I have done was on a one-to-one basis. Recently this month, I conducted a peer-teaching lesson for my class as part of a group of four. It was a good and satisfying experience, and it had given me more confidence to attempt going beyond peer teaching as I was used to. Teaching a group of people was unlike teaching one-to-one. I had to spread out my attention and this made challenging to connect with the whole class, to understand their progress. I would like to take on this challenge again through this teaching internship.

I have personal interest in the subjects of physics, IT, Biology, Earth Science, and Mathematics, but struggle to juggle between breadth and depth. Notwithstanding, having an interest in multiple fields of studies helped me better appreciate the things I experienced and came across in life, and I hope to help the younger generation do likewise as a teacher. As a peer-teacher, I am very patient and flexible; when my peers were not able to understand what I was saying, I would attempt to bring the idea across differently until they understood the idea, by using different words, analogies, illustrations, et cetera, according to the situation at hand. I get a strong sense of satisfaction when I succeed eventually.

I hope to get a valuable chance to experience and take on the challenges of teaching through this teaching internship. Please feel free to contact me by phone at #, or by e-mail at #. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to your reply.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Desmond,

    I see that you have just mentioned the body of your application letter. But I think we were expected to write the entire letter, with the addresses and signature.

    As for the content, I feel the application letter i quite small.

    One of the most important things missing is your skills and past experience. Even if you don't have work experience, you might want to mention something like you were peer-teaching a class of 35 odd students, in a group of 4, and did an overall good job in it. You might also want to sell your skills, like you are a self-learner, a good team player, and love teaching people.

    I think adding one more paragraph should make you good to go.

    Cheers.
    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Desmond, please upload your job adv so your classmates can better comment on your application letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback Akash. I have edited my letter!

    ReplyDelete